Sunday, March 4, 2012

February 13, 2012: Totally Tubular

Clearly I am getting a little bit behind in updating... I have to look at my list on my phone to remember what I created on the date that I am writing about... Yikes! I have to get this caught up.
On this day, Monday February 13th, I went to training at TSK which was, as it always is, very refreshing. While I was waiting for class to start I was in a Starbucks working on Period Ten. It was then that I realized Period Ten was about to get 1000 views! I thought this was pretty exciting, so thanks for stopping by everyone :).
When I returned home from training at about 10PM, I put some finishing touches on a piece that I had started earlier in the week. Now, I have to say that this is not a test tube! Which, one might assume that I stole from the lab at school... haha. I didn't! This does lead me to the fact that this is a glass cigar tube. I do not smoke cigars! There are all kinds of fun cigar packaging things out there at rummage sales though. Cigar boxes and tubes make great crafting supplies. (So... are we clear? -- I did not steal a test tube... and I do not smoke cigars! haha)
As you can see the tube is filled with colorful seed beads that I have collected over the years. I poured some Ice Resin into the tube and moved it around until the resin covered the sides of the tube. Then I poured the beads in and rolled it around until the beads were stuck all over the sides of the tube. I had to let it sit for a day until the resin hardened. Then I repeated, and repeated, etc. I envision this to be a fun little vase that I hang in the window in the summer with fresh cut flowers. I still have to figure out how to hang it though... TBA.
To learn more about how the resin works, click the label below to jump to previous posts. The new information that I learned is that the term resin is actually referring to organic molecules (hydrocarbons, specifically) produced by plants! I'm not sure that it can get more biology related! As I read through the Wikipedia page, I became more and more fascinated by things you could learn by just being interested in using resin to make stuff! For example, did you know that frankincense and myrrh are resins? There is an incredible amount of history in those two examples. I was particularly interested in the fact that resins are used to make incense and perfume. Obviously there is a ton of organic chemistry going on here too.... without even looking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment