Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 12, 2012: Get off MY Soapbox!


Haha! As I was thinking of a title for this post (which is about a very literal soap box)... I questioned "where did the saying 'get off your soapbox' come from?" Well my friends, since I find myself on my own "soapbox" more than I would like to admit... I feel obligated to share the origin of this saying. To avoid plagiarizing Wikipedia just check out the page on the soapbox.
So, people would literally elevate themselves on a box used for shipping soap... huh. My favorite part is that the modern form of a soapbox is a blog. Hmmm...
Well, I built a soap box! Earlier posts explained how I learned to make soap and showed off my first batch. However, during that process I had to use a tupperware container for my soap mold... that was less than ideal. I decided to make my own soap mold that had the dimensions I was looking for as well as clean edges.
To make this box I used some fun power tools...(Thanks Dad!). The box is made out of cherry- check out info about this and other types of wood. To cut the pieces, I used a chop saw (check it out below!). The very thin piece of wood that covers the bottom of the box was cut using a band saw. I put the pieces together using a nail gun. 
Bad A$$ :)


No comments:

Post a Comment