Monday, January 16, 2012

January 11, 2012: None of your Beeswax!

Today I made my own lip balm! Honestly, I am not even sure where I came up with the idea to it. Sometimes I am just thinking, "Gee... I wonder if I could make my own ____ (blank)." Then, I hit the computer and see where to start. So I guess that is how this project took root. The first tutorial that I watched, and most helpful, was by DIY Bath Body and Home on YouTube . There are soooo many tutorials out there though. If you are not interested in making a natural lip balm, you can mix Vaseline or Aquaphor with old eye-shadows or other coloring, which is very simple.
I did want to make a natural lip balm so I gathered some ingredients. Believe it or not, I had all of the ingredients for my first batch at home, but you can get any of this at A.C. Moore and your local grocery store. I used .5 ounces of beeswax, 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey, peppermint and orange essential oils. As shown in most videos, I used a double boiler to melt the beeswax. Then I added the olive oil, honey, and essential oils. This made enough to fill 12 tiny containers as shown in the picture. The entire process took about 1/2 hour! (I found these containers at A.C. Moore in the painting section) I gave the samples out from this first batch. I really cannot wait to get more creative with making bath and body products! I have since purchased several essential oils and shea butter from a local health food store and some other ingredients on Brambleberry.com. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment