Sunday, January 22, 2012

January 17, 2012: Magnetizing

More bottle caps and resin. This time it is the real resin. The difference between this and the epoxy I have used in the past is astounding. It is so much clearer and dries much harder and smoother. Very exciting! I want to experiment with putting different things in resin. What I have realized is that I really need to make sure that any paper (magazine, book, etc.) that I put in resin is adequately covered in Mod Podge first... and dry. This will seal it from getting a wet look when I apply the resin. So, I did not get exactly what I was looking for here... but it's all about learning right!?

The first one I did is the one that has the dictionary words cut out: "seize, autonomy, friend." I love this pieced-together phrase because it is basically saying... "Dear Friend, go out and get yourself a life that you are in control of!" -Love Me Hahaha.

The second one I made is the "colorful abyss." I just picked out two words that described what the magnet itself looked like. There are colorful seed beads piled up inside the bottle cap and then secured with resin. For this one I did the beads first and when it was dried I put the words on top and added more resin. Two others have some seed beads poured into the bottle cap and resin over top... that's it! Each of the caps have magnets attached to the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment