Monday, January 16, 2012

January 14, 2012: It's a Wrap!

Today I revisited an old project that just did not end up quite right. To make this wrap bracelet originally, I took apart an old, black, braided leather belt. I took one of the strips of leather and hammered it and stretched it until it straightened out a bit. Once it looked straight and had the "worn" look that I was going for, I painted over the strip with turquoise acrylic paint. Once the paint dried I took either side of the strand in my hands and stepped my foot on the middle of the strand with the painted part hitting the bottom of my shoe. Then I moved the strand side to side, scraping it on the bottom of my shoe to make the paint peel and rub away. This gave it an old, beat-up look, which I love! When the strip of leather had the look I was going for it was time to figure out how to close the bracelet on my wrist. I punched holes in either end of the leather strip and added a rivet reinforcement. At the time, I added a silver chain and a crab-claw clasp. This was very difficult to close around my wrist. So, the bracelet sat around and I stared at it once in a while wondering how I could make it easier to close so I could wear it. Well, when I was in NYC recently I found some magnetic clasps. This was the answer to my dilemma! So now I am excited because my bracelet is much easier to take on and off :). I will probably be producing a bunch of these in the near future so stay tuned for an Etsy or Facebook link to purchase one if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment